How LED Screens Work and
How We Manufacture Them
Led screens for advertising, sports or events are very similar but not identical. One of the main differences is the Control System used to pilot the led screen. Each application has a preferred Control System setup. Please find below the diagram of the two main Setups.
Embedded Control System Diagram
This solution is mainly used for advertising led screens.
- PC in your office (or anywhere)
The remote PC allows you to control the digital billboard from anywhere in the world. You can work both online (eg. from your office) or offline (eg. while travelling).
- Broadband Internet
A fast internet connection allows you to update your advertising videos and syncronize the playlist in a matter of minutes.
- Embedded Control PC
A Control PC is installed inside the LED Screen. We always choose the latest technology available on the market, based on its reliability and performance. In order to control the embedded PC remotely, it a static IP address would be ideal but it's not mandatory.
- Fullcolor LED Screen
Euro Display’s electronic billboards are like huge DVI monitors connected to the Control PC installed inside the modules.
- Metal Frame
Advertising screens must be installed on a metal frame, wheater they are placed on a pole, on a roof or on a building facade.
- Footstall / Plinth
It is the foundation of the screen. The plinth must be installed at least 28 days previous to the installation to allow concrete to dry properly.
- Power Supply
The screen must be connected to a electric supply, to be requested approximately 6/8 weeks before the installation takes place.
External Control System Diagram
This solution is usually preferred for sports led screens (e.g. stadiums) and events LED video walls (e.g. live concerts).
- Multiple Video Sources
With the external Control System you can easily integrate any video source available on the market (CD/DVD, Live Camera, Webcam, VCR, TV signal, Satellite, Mixer Video...).
- PC in the Control Room
The remote PC allows you to control the LED billboard from anywhere in the world. You can work both online (eg. from your office) or offline (eg. while traveling).
- Fibre Optic Cable or Broadband Internet
A fibre optic cable (up to 1000 meters) allows you to update your videos and sycronize the playlist in a matter of minutes. In alternative to the fibre optic cable, you can always use the broadband internet connection.
- Fullcolor LED Screen
Euro Display’s LED Screens are like huge DVI monitors with Plug-and-Play technology. So you can connect them directly to the fibre optic cable.
How Led Screens Are Manufactured
First Thing First: How to Design the Led Screens
Our mechanical engineers designs the led screens and its components with a professional 3D CAD design software called SolidWorks®
Then, Build the Cabinet
Once all the electronic components are ready (e.g. led tiles, power supplies, control boards) it's time to prepare the cabinet where all these components will be mounted. This is the skeleton of the LED screens.
Now We Can Start Assembling
When the cabinet is ready, the first components to be mounted are the led tiles. Each led tile fits perfectly in its location, with a tolerance of less than 0,5 millimeters.
Finally We Cable the Eletrical System
When all led tiles have been installed, it's time to cable the electrical system. The power supplies are the first components of the electrical system to be installed, then the cables and finally the control boards
When the assembling is completed, the rear part of the cabinet is closed to make it water-proof.
Most digital billboards will require a metal frame to be installed. In the example below, you can see the metal frame for the installation on a 3 meters pole.
Control System Configuration
Euro Display adopts the latest technology available on the market, based on its reliability and performance.
On the proScreen range only, EuroDisplay can provide the Apple® Mac Mini® control PC instead of the default PC (upon request only). Apple® Mac Mini® is the world’s most reliable and energy-efficient desktop computer.
Here's technical specifications of the Apple® Mac Mini® mounted (upon request only) on your EuroDisplay LED screen:
- Name: 120GB Mac Mini (MB463LL/A)
- Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- L2 cache: 3MB shared
- System bus: 1066MHz
- Memory: 1GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
- Hard drive: 120GB Serial ATA4; 5400 rpm
- Optical drive: Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
- Ports: One FireWire 800 port (8 watts); five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps); mini-DVI output; VGA output (using optional adapter); Mini DisplayPort
- Audio: Built-in speaker, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone ou
- Networking: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
- Wireless: Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11n)3; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
In the box
- Mac mini
- Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
- 110W power adapter and power cord
- Install/restore DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation
Processor and memory
- 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
- 1066MHz front-side bus
- 1GB (one 1GB SO-DIMM) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB
Size and Weight
- Height: 5.08 cm (2 inches)
- Width: 16.51 cm (6.5 inches)
- Depth: 16.51 cm (6.5 inches)
- Weight: 1.31 kg (2.9 pounds)
- One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
- Five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Graphics and Video Support
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
- DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)
- Mini DisplayPort output
- Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible Bluetooth
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
- Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
- Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)
- Built-in speaker
- 120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
- Slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer support, Slot-load optical drive reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100-240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
- Maximum continuous power: 110W
- Operating temperature: 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F)
- Storage temperature: -40° to 47° C (-40° to 116° F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Windows XP Professional
- Visual Manager
- Quick Time
©2004-2013 Fabio Aversa. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission from the author.